Friday, April 24, 2009

A New Job

I had seen an ad in the local paper and the place was near my room.
“Need ambitious young man with an eye to the future. Exper. not necessary. Begin in delivery room and work up.”
I waited outside with 5 or 6 young men, all of them trying to look ambitious. We had filled out our employment applications and now we waited. I was the last to be called.
“Mr. Chinaski, what made you leave the railroad yards?”
“Well I don’t see any future in the railroads.”
“They have good unions, medical care, retirement.”
“At my age, retirement might almost be considered superfluous.”
“Why did you come to New Orleans?”
“I had too many friends in Los Angeles, friends I felt were hindering my career. I wanted to go where I could concentrate unmolested.”
“How do we know that you’ll remain with us any length of time?”
“I might not.”
“Why?”
“Your ad stated that there was a future for an ambitious man. If there isn’t any future here then I must leave.”
“Why haven’t you shaved your face? Did you lose a bet?”
“Not yet.”
“Not yet?”
“No; I bet my landlord that I could land a job in one day even with this beard.”
“All right we’ll let you know.”
“I don’t have a phone.”
“That’s all right, Mr. Chinaski.”
-Charles Bukowski, Factotum

No comments:

Post a Comment