Sunday, April 12, 2009

Don't Tread On Me.




















I just bought a Gadsden flag to hang in my room this summer and next year.  I think it's a much more potent reminder of our national identity and history than the kinda whitewashed stars and bars.  Reminds me that we went to war over a penny tax on tea.  Reminds me to never compromise your values.

This was the flag that Continental Congressman Christopher Gadsden gave to the first U.S. Marines to fly.   It's pretty cool.

Col. Gadsden presented to the Congress an elegant standard, such as is to be used by the commander in chief of the American navy; being a yellow field, with a lively representation of a rattle-snake in the middle, in the attitude of going to strike, and these words underneath, "Don't Tread on Me!"


No comments:

Post a Comment